Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How Do I Unlock My Inner Murray

Just a little sidebar while I prep for the upcoming alien invasion.
     Part of my day job is to time people in my plant while they assemble the products that we sell in order to find the precise amount of time we take to perform certain tasks.  It is...riveting to say the least and the operators I observe, despite my explaining otherwise, all seem to assume that I am up to something sinister.  
     The other day I was timing a guy, we'll call him Murray (because he sort of looks like a Murray even though that's not his name. I feel like if you picture a guy named Murray, that'll be dead-on to the guy I'm talking about) and this guy was, to put it mildly: haulin' ass.  I try to tell everybody to just go at their normal pace because if they hurry and work fast (out of some fear that I'll find their performance unsatisfactory, I guess) then it throws off the whole thing because it will be unreasonable for us to expect that break-neck pace all day every day.  So I ask Murray to cool it and he tells me this is his normal speed.  That he assembles 140 parts a day.  Now, I know next to nothing about the process Murray's working on, I'm just an idiot with a stopwatch.
      So I ask "Um, is that good?" and he says with a proud half smirk "I'm the only one here that can do 140 a day." Watching him I can see why, all his movements are quick and to the point, almost bird-like and he works to build these parts like his pants are on fire or something.  I ask around and Murray is renowned around the plant as one of the hardest workers and he really does cook like that for nine hours a day, five days a week. We do have a bonus program but nobody else works this hard to achieve it.  I know that Murray can't be taking home as much as 98% of the people who sit in front of computers doing cushy white collar work all day.  So what drives him?  I asked directly and he told me when he gets down to something, he just wants to get it done, he's always been this way.
AAAHH! NO! PUT THAT FIRE EXTINGUISHER DOWN AND HAND ME THOSE PARTS, THERE'S WORK TO DO!
     I simply don't understand people like Murray.  Its awful to say, but I can't think of a time that I was as driven as he is every day.  My whole life I've had to be coaxed or rewarded into doing things.  I have moved like Murray before, don't get me wrong, but it was usually because I loafed around until the last second and had to scramble like crazy to catch up and that is, very much, not the same thing.
     I take pride in a job well done and I do work hard when there is a payoff, but pretty much the whole time I'm working I can't wait for the job to be done and to get that payoff.  The things that interest me at work are innovations, things I can do to make my job easier. I have no interest in rolling up my sleeves and powering through for years on end, I'd rather think my way out of it. I do realize though, that if I had my innovation and Murray's work ethic I would be unstoppable. So what is it that Murray has that I lack? Well, a work ethic obviously, but I mean deeper down.  Is there a way for a couch potato to become a Murray? These are questions I hope to try and answer over these coming weeks of The Initiative.  I know some of you are saying "A painting every 3 days? That's kid stuff" (I'm lookin' at you Comfort and Adam) but this is hard work for me and I'm hoping it will teach me something about myself that I can use to, at least, start unburying my inner Murray.

1 comment:

  1. It's in our gene's bro...I'd write more on that thought but I have to hurry off and write up a few processes that are due Monday!

    Let me know when you figure this one out.

    ReplyDelete